What is Plasma?
Plasma is the yellowish liquid portion of the blood that makes up about 55% of the body’s total blood volume. The Plasma is the components that remain after extracting Red blood cells, White blood cells and Platelets from whole blood. Plasma contains 92% of water and 7% of vital proteins, enzymes and antibodies.
Use of Plasma in Our Body
Plasma carries variety of functions in the body like provides proteins for blood clotting, maintains blood pressure and volume and control pH balance.
Plasma is generally use to save patients suffering from burns, trauma, shock and other medical treatments.
How Plasma extracted from Blood
Most of the peoples only know about donating blood, but they rather not know about separating Plasma from the whole blood. Plasma can be extracted from the blood by removing the Red Blood cells, White Blood cells, Platelets and other components. Plasma extracted from the blood through the medical therapy process called Plasmapheresis.
The process of donation Plasma is about 1 hour. In the procedure of Plasmapheresis only plasma is extracted and other components of blood Red Blood Cells, White Blood Cells and Platelets are returned to the body.
Plasma donation can be used to treatment of 2 patients. 500 ml Plasma can be donated every two weeks, while blood can be donated ones in three months.
- Body Mass Index (BMI), How its Calculated?
- What is ‘black fungus’ or Mucormycosis in Corona patients, its symptoms, and treatment
- How to register for Covid-19 vaccine for all age above 18 years| CoWIN app step by step guide
- What is Pulse Oximeter and What’s the right way to use Oximeter : Step by step guide
- How to apply for e-Pass Delhi | e-Pass for Delhi lockdown curfew
Who can donate Plasma?
The individual can donate Plasma who had corona virus disease and now recovered from it. The donor should be recovered at least 14 days before the donation. Donor must be between the ages 18 and 50 and weighing not less then 50 kg are eligible. While the person having other disease such as Diabetes, Hypertension, Cancer, HIV and other diseases are not eligible to be donor.
How to donate Plasma for COVID treatment
Steps to follow:
- First step to donate plasma call to 1031 or whatsapp details at 8800007722
- Then a team of doctors will get in touch with you.
- Share your medical details for the confirmation of eligibility.
- Wait for them to reach out to you.